Virtual EMDR Basic Training Course
EMDR Training (Parts I and II)
This training is approved by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA)
Intended for mental health therapists, such as psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, professional counselors and LMFTs.
Online Course Description
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy is a multifaceted and empirically validated treatment approach for a range of client presenting issues (particularly trauma-related). It incorporates somatic, emotional, cognitive, and narrative elements, and it facilitates accelerated change of clients' dysfunctional patterns.
EMDR Training includes Part I and Part II, as well as 10 hours of consultation on EMDR Therapy, and reading an EMDR Therapy book by Francine Shapiro. This EMDR training is EMDRIA-Approved.
Clinicians are expected to begin using EMDR therapy with clients after completion of Part I and using group consultation to review these cases. The entire training must be completed within a 12-month period. Trainings include lecture, discussion, experiential exercises, demonstrations, and small group practice - all online! EMDR Training is available to licensed mental health professionals or people working toward licensure and under the supervision of a licensed professional. Click here to read a list of references related to the efficacy of EMDR therapy.
EMDR TRAINING PART 1
Part I of the EMDR Training covers the development of EMDR Therapy, the Adaptive Information Processing Model, the 8-Phase EMDR therapy approach, and Resource Development and Installation (RDI). Specific learning objectives include:
1. Describe the eight phases of EMDR Therapy
2. Identify three elements of the Adaptive Information Processing Model
3. Utilize the criteria for client screening for EMDR treatment
4. Develop a treatment plan to prioritize targets for EMDR processing
5. Describe the protocol for closing down incomplete sessions
After Part I of the EMDR Training, clinicians will begin using EMDR Therapy with clients and participate in consultation with Elizabeth Legg, PhD, LPC, NCC or another EMDRIA-Approved Consultant or Consultant-in-Training approved by Elizabeth Legg. Participants are responsible for arranging and scheduling consultation. Group consultation options will be provided following the Part I Training. Four hours (of the total 10 hours required) must be completed between Parts I and II.
EMDR TRAINING PART 2
Part II of the EMDR Training follows about 6-10 weeks later and addresses EMDR Therapy with Complex PTSD, Anxiety Disorders, Addictions, Chronic Pain/Illness, Couples, and Children/Adolescents. Specific learning objectives include:
1. Clarify my use of the eight phase EMDR Therapy approach
2. Implement three strategies to assist with blocked processing
3. Describe two strategies to use with complex PTSD clients
4. Provide two strategies to use with dissociative clients
5. Apply EMDR therapy to present day symptoms
After Part II of the EMDR Training, clinicians complete the remaining hours of the 10 required hours of consultation with Elizabeth Legg, PhD, LPC, NCC or another EMDRIA-Approved Consultant or Consultant-in-Training approved by Elizabeth Legg. The entire process of training from beginning Part I to finishing the 10 required hours of consultation must be completed within a 9-month period to qualify for the Certificate of Completion.
EMDR Training (Parts I and II) includes lecture, discussion, experiential exercises, live demonstrations, and small group practice (as both therapist and client). Each dyad/triad will meet online in breakout rooms to practice the trauma protocol. They will be provided with an electronic copy of a comprehensive manual for Part I and Part II.
The entire EMDR Training (Parts I and II) includes 20 hours of instruction, 20 hours of practicum, and 10 hours of consultation, at which point a certificate of completion (40 continuing education contact hours) is given to participants. EMDR Training (Parts I and II) prepares clinicians to use EMDR Therapy with clients. However, this training does not result in EMDR Certification. This is a first step toward EMDR Certification (see www.emdria.org for information about EMDR Certification).
PART 1 LEARNING OBJECTIVES
1. Identify 3 elements of the Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) Model.
2. Describe how the AIP Model guides case conceptualization & treatment planning.
3. Identify 2 hypotheses for the mechanisms of action underlying EMDR therapy.
4. List 3 components of trauma memory networks transformed through EMDR.
5. Explain how to utilize the Subjective Units of Disturbance (SUD) Scale.
6. Explain how to utilize the Validity of Cognition (VOC) Scale.
7. Identify three options for Dual Attention Stimulus (DAS).
8. Name and describe the 8 phases of EMDR therapy.
9. Provide 2 possible adaptations across the 8 phases based on cultural identity.
10. Identify 3 areas to assess in determining client readiness for trauma processing.
11. Describe the 3-Pronged Approach to EMDR therapy.
12. Provide 2 indications to extend the Client Preparation Phase (Phase 2).
13. Identify 3 elements included in Phase 3: Assessment (Target Formation).
14. Describe the protocol for closing down incomplete target sessions.
PART 2 LEARNING OBJECTIVES
15. Utilize the client readiness checklist to determine readiness for trauma processing.
16. Apply the 3-pronged approach to prioritize targets for reprocessing.
17. Identify 2 examples of Resource Development and Installation (RDI).
18. Provide 2 options to increase the charge during Desensitization.
19. Provide 2 options to decrease the charge during Desensitization.
20. Implement 3 strategies to assist with blocked processing.
21. Implement the protocol for closing down incomplete target sessions.
22. Describe 2 strategies to use for clients with Complex PTSD.
23. Describe 2 possible modifications in using EMDR therapy with children.
24. Describe 2 strategies to use with clients who are highly dissociative.
25. Identify 3 possible targets for reprocessing for clients with chronic pain/illness.
26. Apply EMDR with client present day symptoms and future concerns.
PART 1 (3 days):
Wednesday, March 1st from 8:00am to 5:30pm MT
Thursday, March 2nd from 8:30am to 5:30pm MT
Friday, March 3rd from 8:30am to 5:30pm MT
PART 2 (3 days):
Wednesday, June. 7th from 8:30am to 5:30pm MT
Thursday, June 8th from 8:30am to 5:30pm MT
Friday, June 9th from 8:30am to 5:30pm MT
Details and Fees
(Note: This is a Commercial Workshop)
U.S. TRAINING PRICES
Total Cost: $1,400 (includes $1000 for Part I & II and $300 for consultation)
This payment can be submitted in installments, rather than all at one time:
Deposit: $400 initial deposit to register
Payment 2: $350 due two weeks before Part 1
Payment 3: $300 due in between Part 1 and Part 2
Payment 4: $350 due two weeks before Part 2
Attendance in a Basic EMDR Therapy Training is limited to licensed mental health professionals, students in an accredited graduate program, and interns on a state licensing track. Students and interns must receive approval for attendance. For information on eligibility requirements, click here.
Full refund minus $50 administrative fee up to 30-days before training begins. However, we do know that emergencies and unexpected events do happen, so we are willing to allow people to transfer their payment to another cohort as needed if the refund deadline is missed. Each cohort transfer costs a $100 administration fee. Due to the importance of emotional safety and cohesion of each training cohort, we strongly encourage you to try to stay within the cohort dates you originally sign up for if possible and to protect the dates on your calendar.
Continuing Education Credits
Continuing Education (CE) credits are offered and included in the price of the training. After completing the EMDR Basic Training Parts I and II, participants will receive Certificates of Completion with 40 CE credits.
Scaling Up LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7065. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Scaling Up LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Scaling Up LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education credit for psychologists. Scaling Up LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Elizabeth Legg, PhD, LPC, NCC (Trainer)
Elizabeth Legg, PhD, LPC, NCC is a Licensed Psychologist, EMDRIA-Approved Training Provider and Consultant, and Certified EMDR Therapist. She has worked in the mental health field for over 20 years, 17 years as a Licensed Professional Counselor and 7 years as a Psychologist. She works full-time in private practice, The Road Less Traveled Counseling Center in Denver, Colorado. The focus of her practice includes trauma treatment, couples therapy from an Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy approach, as well as supervision, consultation, and training. She completed her PhD in Counseling Psychology at the University of Northern Colorado, where her dissertation focused on EMDR within couples therapy. She also developed the Denver Collaborative Health Center, a network of skilled independent professionals dedicated to providing quality health care services to treat the whole person, including yoga therapy, massage, Rolfing, and psychotherapy.
FINAL TRAINING DETAILS
This workshop is held in facilities which are in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act. Please contact the Scaling Up Team at info@ScalingUpEMDR.com if special accommodations are required.
Scaling Up maintains responsibility for this program and its content in accordance with EMDRIA requirements.
Audio/Video/Photo Disclosure: Some of the trainings will be audio and/or video recorded. Additionally, photos may be taken and used for website and other promotional materials. By registering for this training you are consenting that you are in agreement of and aware of this disclosure agreement.
There are no known conflicts of interests for this workshop. All grievances must be in writing to email@example.com, and will be replied to within 5 - 10 business days.
If you are an EMDR therapist seeking consultation, whether toward EMDRIA Certification or not, you may sign up for group consultation with Elizabeth Legg, PhD by emailing her directly at EMDR@theroadlesstraveledcounseling.com or seek out either individual or group consultation from one of the EMDRIA Approved Consultants on our team below. Please note that Elizabeth Legg is not currently accepting new consultees for individual consultation.